Wednesday, April 30, 2008

"one who goes before"

=============
A water stained and muddy scrap of page stuck into the journal.
=============

Praetor was a title granted by the government of Ancient Rome to men acting in one of two official capacities: the commander of an army, either before it was mustered or more typically in the field, or an elected magistrate assigned duties that varied depending on the historical period. Its literal translation is "one who goes before, precedes, who leads the way".

=============
I don't know what ta write about this. I guess i'll just start with ta facts as I know em. Her Ladyship called me in and I could see from her eyes she was well pleased at somethin. Asked me if my ears had been burnin. Well, if they hadn't before, they sure were now I told her. She let me dangle a moment and asked if she should tell me. I suggested I could be as annoyin as tha worlds biggest five year old, so she was merciful and told me. She had taken tha council of her two nearest and dearest, Poncho and Denny. About me. About me in tha Institute. She had decided ta promote me. This kinda floored me. I only been a card caryin member fer a little while, and it weren't just that long ago Her Ladyship granted me tha boon of Scholarship.

Made me remember back when Her Ladyship and me had talked about how things ran when I was in Tha Pack, as Hunter then Scout Leader. She said i'd lead again one day, which I thought was nice of Her at tha time, I never had aspirations of grandure or nothin. I knew when I stepped through them doors fer tha last time as a packless Outcast, by my own paw or no, I knew i'd have ta fight ta prove myself ta tha high thinkers and sharp tongues of tha Institute. I never gave any thought ta more than bein welcome, ta belong and ta be useful.

Her Ladyship was gonna promote me, said I was a natural leader, said I could keep my head when tha waste hit tha spinnin blades, said I was reliable, and said I was on their side. Well, let me tell ya. That I am, that I am. We got all kinds in tha Institute. Angels, Demons, Fangers, Shifters and Witches. That spread doesn't push us apart, it gives us inisights inta things. Its somethin i'm proud of. Somethin i'd be proud ta serve. Proud ta help lead. Her Ladyship promoted me. Asked me if i'd be a Praetor for Her. Like I said I was floored. Still am. I don't wanna bite off more than I can swallow. I asked Her what I needed ta do, when she finished layin out what Her expetations, I said my paws were Her paws. I never expected ta lead again, but now I will, I can't imagine wantin ta lead anywhere else.

When My-She found out, she was over tha Moon. I don't use tha term lightly, neither. So excited she took me out shoppin to tha mainland fer a present. Bought me a fine rugged kilt fer me. I'm gonna wear it when Tha Goddess hides Her face and plays her prank. Goes funny with my tail, and i'll be damned if I take a knife ta it ta cut a hole fer me. Its special, it was fer ME, from My-She. She is special. Both of them are special. Fates musta smiled on me fer all tha good stuf thats been comin my way, or just balancin tha score

I went wanderin in tha South, found an old book in one of tha ruins. Encyclopedia . All neglected in a puddle, under debris. Got it out, flipped through it, found what i was lookin fer. So i pasted it in. Means a lot ta me. considerin who and what i am.

One who goes before.

Sums me right up, nose ta tail.

No comments: