Sunday, July 6, 2008

ain't no place like Home

=================================
Pencil note in a messy hand, ash-smeared in places, dated 7-07-08
=================================
I have a room. A room that’s all mine. Not a bunk, not a corner of a cell. A room. All fer me. Her Ladyship has a new House, and I got a room. All fer me. I don’t have a lot of stuff, not really. Clothes, my good stuff that My-She and Her Ladyship love so much, and all tha shirts I go through. My weapons systems, tha ones that I don’t leave stashed in Tox, just in case, mind you. She had a chest put in, so I can square it all away.

My-She helped me decorate, and so did Her Ladyship. My-She got me a big rug ta lay on, used ta be a bear. Smells of Den. Its soothing. Comfy too. I put up some pictures I got made. My part of tha Great Song. A Picture of My-She. I kinda went crazy with tha walls, and covered one wall with a reccy-pic of Tox, tha other a portrait of us Three, by tha fire. That one’s in colour, so I can see it proper when I walk as Fleshie.

I said I wanted plants, so I could smell tha green, and sleep on my mat easier, and wouldn’t yua know? I came Home one time and Her Ladyship had put grassy flowers in pots all around my mat, makin a little Den fer me. Now I can wake and see plants, not just walls when I open my eyes.

So many of my Pack are there, Her Ladyship, and Hers; Poncho and Denny, Ry has tha room next ta me. Merma stays with Poncho. Jon comes by often. My-She is only a Song away, with her own home ta keep, where I feel just as welcome by her and hers.

I'll likely still bed-down in tha Library fairly often too, in case i'm needed, just curl up here by tha side of tha Fire. But i got a room of my own. Its fer me. No bars ta cage me in, I come and go as I please. I don’t know how often I’ll be stayin there, but when I do, I know I can call it Home.

1 comment:

Joah Menjou said...

Joah sits on the silent carousel, small legs wrapped around the silvery dark horse, gazing at the moon and the stars and the water as she turns. She thinks, of Omega, Grr, Mirah - of everyone she holds dear in the Library - then slips off to stand on the whirling platform. Clicking her heels three times together, she smiles, thinking, "There's no place like home. . . ."