Saturday, August 16, 2008

Nareth: Huntress, no more

It was already a rough day. Tha tension was cracklin. Figures. Discordia. Perfect weather fer what we were gunna be doin. Only way it coulda been better was if there was thunder and lightning. Some screamin peasants with farmin implements woulda been fitting too, but I’ve seen them befer, and there was still time. Strong-Gal was dancin to tha music in her head when we heard the raspin voice of tha Godling from upstairs. She stopped her dance, and tha wind caught her scent and gave we a snoutfull. Blood. Ethan. She smelled of Ethan’s blood, and sweat. She looked at her self, touched her skin, rubbed it and made a surprised face. She wasn’t hurt, that I could tell, but there was somethin’ off. Fleshies don’t sweat blood unless they got one of tha bleednin-out diseases; Ebola, Marburg, Lassa. Strong-Gal didn’t have none of them, that I could smell, so, at least there was that. She did duck off pretty fast though, maybe she was embarrassed. I followed her upstairs, after telling Pontifex and Her Ladyship that we had company upstairs too.

“Pure iron," Joah murmured ta tha Goddling who told Spirit-Gal she’d done well with tha bot. Now, me and Spirit-Gal have had a rough week, tha two of us. Rougher than most, but with a happier endin than I can remember fer a while. There had been some idle talk on tha floor about food, and someone had brough up what they didn’t eat. Well, there isn’t much I won’t eat, and even less I’ve not tried ta eat. Some things I don’t eat any more. Like talking people. But that didn’t quite make it to tha conversation. What came up was that I’ve eaten Lycan and Feline and Fleshies. Lots of Fleshies. Villages worth. No secret there, in tha 7RAR-L we were on a ground clearing mission, cullin tha population ta make tha region . . .manageable, and they never fed us enough. Hell, they suggested it. Made fer even greater terror. Made fer cheaper logistics. Face it, my Kin were made fer eatin their kills.

That’s not how Spirit Gal saw it though. She just saw tha monster. Tha Beast. She looked at me with eyes that only saw me pickin gristle outa my fangs with a baby’s arm. Those eyes. They ain’t never tha eyes I want see in a friend. Nor Family, nor one in my pack. She asked me “Had I eaten Human?” I said yes. “Would you eat a child?” No says I, would I, not have I. I was glad she asked that way. I wont lie to my Family, I don’t know if I can, even. She asked me “would I eat a friend”, I said “I’d never kill a friend fer food” Tha horror was in her eyes. Tha realization that I was an apex predator, and that maybe I saw everyone walkin about as a mobile buffet was fresh in her mind. She couldn’t accept that she had let herself befriend a monster. A beast. An animal. In a flash, I saw that cross her mind. Damn near broke my heart. I guess just ran. Strong Gal found me, out by tha Den, strange how I ended up that way. Guess tha reek of meat called tha beast. Anyways, Stong-Gal talked to me, held me even and I cried, cried like a lost pup, my Timor memories were aweful fresh after getting Shadow-poisoned so it was fresh fer me. Close. Brutal and close.

This is how she thought of me when I padded upstairs and past her and tha Godling, Labyrinth, standin beside tha Bot-Nareth. Pontifex had made it up, as had Her ladyship. I followed Britt’s scent over to the far corner and checked on her. She was washing, and changing clothes. Spirit-Gal said to the little group, my Family, my pack “The time is at hand.” Tha Godling replied, always testin “Is it? Pontifex watched from the sidelines as It turned and scanned tha faces, Spirit Gal started ta smile calmly “You know it is, Aunt Beast. Britt came out having washed down and quirks silently to the gathered group. She rounded tha corner of tha supplies and boxes and up ta me, givin me a questionin look. She sits beside me. She don’t fear what I am. She knows I’m more than what I was. Better. Deeper. She loves a predator, tha old Fanger Ethan, so she has an idea what it is like.

Labyrinth stands still, watching tha bot as Abi ran up tha stairs, breathin heavy. It opened her left hand, showin a small spinnin thing I cant see what it is from this side of tha room, only that its shiny and got lots of sides. I whispered to Britt that I could smell Ethan’s blood in her sweat, and wanted ta be sure she was ok. She thought that maybe I meant she smelt bad, but, weren’t that at all. Just that it wasn’t tha usual scent fer a Fleshie ta have. We both settled ta watch tha show. I knew I would have a part ta play, and I was worried what it would be. “The time...is short...Joah. The time is..now. It's your world...” Spirit Gal turned to look at Her Ladyship, and ta Abi “Omega, will you allow this?” Her Ladyship opened her hands, lookin to tha Godling, Abi starts lookin between tha Bot and Labyrinth, I could smell her cryin start. Spirit Gal waited, this ain’t a time fer rushin. Her Ladyship asked “What do you propose?” Tha Godlin stood there, lookin at tha spinnin thing in its hand, Spirit Gal looked back ta Her Ladyship and said “Bringing Nareth home. Sending Labyrinth back.” Her Ladyship was cold, and, tight voiced “Not my Nareth. This.. construct of yours. Let it be done.” Ya gotta remember, Tha Huntress was Her Ladyships childe. She chose her ta live forever along side Her Ladyship in tha world, in tha future. That’s a bond I don’t know if I can compare anything to. She made Nareth Family, it didn’t just happen. She DID it.

And then, Tha Huntress was gone, dead, possessed and eaten. Now we were lookin ta save her soul, or, something, and put it in a Bot. Labyrinth, tha one who stole Nareth in tha first place spoke again “How.. remarkable. Yessssss....” Ya know, when I am a Godling, I bet I’ll be just as incomprehensible, but I hope that Coyote will clip me up side tha head if I pull some of tha shit that this One did. Spirit Gal started again “There are three parts. Blood. Heart. Soul.” Her Ladyship again, without so much as a frown spoke “this.. abomination you have created has no blood.” All part of tha ritual. Spirit Gal turned and walked slowly up to Her Ladyship, offerin her hand. “Tha blood is yours, Omega. And Yer childe's. Will ya give it?” Her Ladyship nodded and Spirit Gal took Her by the hand and lead her to tha Bot as Tha Godling watched and as Abi opened her eyes and thme move to it, bitin her lip.

I see tha flash of light, painful ta look at, just the smallest spark, but so bright, as Spirit-Gal draws Nareth's sigil, tha Razor, from around her neck, looking questioningly at Omega, then moves ta draw the razor across Her Ladyships wrist. But Her Ladyship stops her with a word “No.” There was a pause. “Not from there. From here.” The shiny thing in Its hand began ta spin again. Her Ladyship tilted her head, stretchin her neck, and closed her eyes. “Cut deep.” Tha Godling Labyrinth crooned “Yesssssss....” and Pontifex, her faithful follower, took a breath, held it fer moment. Spirit Gal nodded, lifted tha razor, and slid it across Her Ladyship’s throat. The blade began to sing. Time slowed down. Fer a horrible moment, I worried it was all a plot, a sham ta finally do over Her Ladyship. What better chance. A willin offerin before a Godling. A collection of powers. A cut to Her hearts blood? All too much ta bear, fer a moment, just a flicker, mind, and i hardly bolted over, but I knew it was time ta stop mopin and get on in there. Still, tha blade sang, it cut deep and Spirit Gal incanted “In the true name of the gods, the older ones. Eris. Azathoth. Tha Godling hears Its name, and responded “Yesssssssss.... I am.” At that moment, Spirit Gal takes her swipe with tha razor, fast, clean down Her Ladyships pale neck cleanly with a swift jerk. She lifted up her free hand and touched her finger so Her Ladyship’s blood streaming freely, coated the tips of her fingers. Tha spinning thing stopped, again.

Spirit Gal wrote something on tha Bot with Her Ladyships blood, Lari came up, and stood with Abby. Which was good. Abby needed comfort. Tha ritual continued on “Your blood, your life to your childe.” Spirit Gal said but Her Ladyship murmured, her eyes leakin blood tears.. “not my childe.. not any more..” but tha ritual is tha Ritual "Your childe," Joah says firmly, but softly, as Abi squeezes Omega's hand and Spirit Gal steped towards tha Godling. “Aunt Beast . . . you know I said I would . . . if I had the chance.” There is no sign of feelin from It, but, ya know, I think It really was invested in us, and our little world. “Yessssssss, I know. And you...will.” she kissed It on tha cheek, then traced her fingers across Its forehead with more of Her Ladyships blood. More letters. Then she does tha damndest thing. She turned towards Pontifex, and pressed tha blade into his hand. “You know how to use it.” Pontifex looked puzzled, and so did I, I never thought she’d hand that thing over ta anyone, let alone Poncho. "My blood as well?" He asked “No. It's . . . a door. "I'm sorry, Lady," Joah whispers as she walks by Her Ladyship. She just stood there, hand clasped to tha wound on Her neck, as She murmurs... “an opening...” Tha Godling spoke again. Goddess, I hoped this worked, “Yesssssss....to the Abyss....To me.” It watched Abi as Spirit Gal asked her if she wanted Nareth back and Abi cried and nodded a yes.

Pontifex nodded, looking at the razor, "Abi...could you come here?" tha Godling just watches “How...very...curious.” I take my cue, and havin stripped awready, and ready fer whatever part I have ta play, I padded up swiftly up and pressed an open field dressing to Her Ladyship’s free hand, closing my paw over her fingers onto it. I needed to make sure that at least she wasn’t gonna bleed out on tha floor whilst everyone was busy. Not on my watch. Her Ladyship looks around, eyeing Joah, Abigel, Pontifex, murmuring..... “your Nareth... yours.. but not mine. “ That’s when I hear Spirit Gal talk. She talked ta me. Seems like . . . . weeks . . .she just whispered "Watcher, keep her safe." Pontifex starts talking ta Abi, but its all gone away. All I hear is Spirit-Gal’s whisper, all I see is Her Ladyship puttin tha dressing against Her neck, staining it red immediately... She watches Pontifex.. and tha Godling Labyrinth lookin at me and smilin softly, a wicked, hungry smile. I whisper, ta myself more than anybody, tha Prayer of tha Watcher. Tha Scout Prayer, "I walk the walls whilst you rest, I guard the line whilst you work, I stand in the dark places that you may have Light, I watch, and hold the Beasts at bay" I caught Its gaze and holds it as I could and whispered again "I know you and honor your part in the wheel" It blinked and looked back to tha Bot. One fer me. I stood, and looked to Her Ladyship, and pressin tha field dressing to her neck, till her own healin closed the deep wound. I thought it did at least.

Round two went ta tha Godling. “How very...unexpected. The ...beast...will take my heart. He has long desired it” That sets Spirit Gal ta spin from watchin Pontifex’s show ta look at It. It just blinked. “You cannot lie.” Said Spirit Gal, unbelieving what It just revealed to her. It just kept on, “Oh can lie. I have had will a long time now. The dancers...and you...gifted it to me. You will do anything...to banish me. But..this I speak true Unless...I lie. The wolf takes...my heart...” Like It knew what I really wanted. Like It could understand. A blank expression crosses Spirit Gal’s face, then she turns to look at me. All her worst fears come true. In flesh and fur, about me. It don’t matter anymore. I have a job ta do, always a job, not that that’s much of an excuse or a need. But, its how I got ta be where I am, and who I am. Her Ladyship don’t mind, she understands, more than most I figure, she turns ta me, holding out a bloodstained hand to my muzzle. Spirit Gal looks at me serious, and whispers “The Watcher” then finds her voice. “Not wolf. Coyote.” But tha Godling speaks again “Beast” I watch It some more intently, not the look of person to person, but hunter to prey. " I am." Is all I say. It cocks her head to one side, “Time grows so short...” I lean my head towards Omegas bloodied hand and lap at it, wearing Her blood proudly on tha fur of my face.

Pontifex incanted. I don’t know what he said. He held the blade up in the air, it got dark, real dark, dark like inside a cave. I hardly heard any of it. Nor Spirit Gal talking to It, nor what Abi said. I had Her taste on my muzzle and tha Hunt in my eyes. Tha Sacred Hunt, mind, tha Ritual was cast, and I felt Coyote’s dance in my muscles, in tha floor, in tha air I breathed. I couldn’t take my eyes of tha Godling now. I was tha Watcher, so named, and so it was. Its what I am, its what I do. Scout. Hunter. Recon. Outrunner. Her Ladyship talks, but I can’t hear Her. Thay ain’t talking ta me, they will call me when they need me. They always do. Its my purpose. Its my place in tha Pack, its my duty. Its what I am.

I feel eyes on me. Spirit Gal’s Tha Godling’s. I hear someone say “Her heart.” By now I’m pacin, paddin about and around carefully, watching It, watching the crowd. Her Ladyship shakes Her head, seeming disoriented... “never a weapon, never our intent” were they talking about me? No. About Nareth, Tha Huntress, soon ta be Nareth tha Bot. Tha Godling turns to face me. I know it sees me as less than even tha other two-leggers here. Nareth did too. Glad ta see That some of tha Huntress rubbed of on tha Godling. That’s irony. "Very well," Spirit Gal whispered. Her Ladyship hissed and tha Godling spoke again, first to Her, then to me “It is only...the truth of it...Omega Beast...thou wilt take the heart in me, It is not mine.” Then It looked down at the hard red plates of It exoskeleton. As It kept speakin at me “You will accept it, and place it in the Joah's...hands. Then...I will diminish .. rapidly” My prey is awaiting, It stands still, my sacred duty approaches. I whisper the prayer again "Wall, Line, Light, Blood, Pack, Kin" I nod to It, letting it know I heard Its instructions. There was a loud crackin sound, and the scales on Labyrinth's chest tear apart, exposing a black heart. “Take it...quickly...”

Instinct takes over and I lunged forwards, speed of the predator in me that none there had witnessed, and fer that I am grateful. I slammed my sharp clawed fist into Labyrinths chest, shuddering us both. I knew I wouldn’t bowl over tha Godling, but I wanted It ta know, know deep in its fibers that this was done without a shred of fear for myself. You can never show fear to the Spirits when you touch them. Respect. Awe, but never fear, or they rule you. I growled. a deep, growl that would have send shivers through the spines of any who were born Fleshie, the instinctive fear of the wolf, and with a yank, I tore out the still, vampiric heart and paused, huffin, and crouched, blood splattered and gory, held it, before lifting it up for all ta see, for tha Sun, tha Moon, tha Stars and the Spirits ta see and I called out in tha ancient form. Not my native tongue, not tha way I call tha Spirits, but tha ancient way ta take tha Heart Offerin, "tonacayotl : nextlahualli : macehualli: Huitzilopochtli! Tezcatlipoca! Co-llo-tlh! For the sake of all the world. We take this debt payment. For the sake of we who owe Life to the Gods; the Sun, warrior. Night, destiny and Coyote, bringer of change. Tha words were foreign ta me, but I knew , I knew , tha forms had ta be met. I shuddered at tha implications of what I was doin. I handed over tha heart, cold and bloody, ta Spirit Gal. Even then, full of tha Coyote dance, its hard fer me ta look Spirit Gal in tha eye. Knowing what I know, and seeing her look at me, but I did, I handing the heart over still with a lingerin glow to my fur. Her Ladyships blood on my muzzle, and tha blood of the body that was keeping the heart of Nareth on my arms and chest.

Tha Godling staggers, but stands, gaspin fer a moment. “The Stars...were not yet...rightl. I am. I am Labyrinth. I am...even in this fallen..small..world. I am Eris Discordia. So..named....Azathoth among the Outer Gods.”. That’s when Spirit Gal took tha heart, blood drippin down her wrists. She stood watchin tha bleedin Godling as she talks some more “I am the Whisperer in...Darkness. I will await Nyarlathotep's coming. Her Ladyship steped up ta Spirit Gal, placed a hand on tha heart. I had one more sacred duty ta perform. Ta offer back to tha Prey for its offerin. So I looked up ta tha Godling, Labyrinth and ask It formally "Forgive me." As Labyrinth speaks, Joah lifts the heart to Omega. The Godling looked at me. It actually looked at ME, this time, not just tha fur and claws, fangs and tail “No...regret...beast. No regret. You serve me.” I just nodded and backed away to tha corner. My duty done, for now. I do not serve Tha Void. I do not serve Entropy. I do not serve tha Emptyness. I serve tha Change, tha Reshaper. Coyote the Creator, and fer then, my work was done.

The others did their parts. I sat, covered in splatter. Waiting. Watching. Till it was done, and they brought Nareth back. Kinda. Sorta. Not Tha Huntress. Not Her Ladyships childe. Something of her. Enough. Enough that I can send it over tha Wide River if it needed. Enough ta guide to tha Final Place. Denny and me argued about that, it pained him ta see what they had made. What I helped make happen. Fer my part, I woulda brought Nareth back in any way I could. Raven charged me ta do that. Maybe it was Legion. Maybe it was Lorne. I don’t care. I see tha workins of Raven, and Coyote, in their actions too. Nareth deserved ta reach tha Happy Huntin grounds. Even if not fer her, than fer Her Ladyship.

One last thing. One last duty then I could run, run from the eyes. I am tha Watcher. I guard tha threshold. Footsteps on tha stairwell to be confronted, each in their own way. Some, like Artemisia, come ta bring comfort and warmth to tha newborn, give it, her, Bot-Nareth, groundin. I told her when she asked that we brought home tha Huntress, but Her Ladyship looked over her shoulder, blood soaked and pained and corrected me ”not the Huntress.. she is gone...but there is this...” She’s right. Tha Huntress is gone. Too much damage and loss. Others came, not all of em as comfortin and warmin. I think them and me will be havin further words . . . .

No comments: