Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Tha Library Ritual

=========================================
Pencil entry, smudged with ash dated 23/6/08
=========================================
I'm sittin by tha fire, I see dawns light hit tha hotel and know its time. I look up and around, stand and stretch. Time. Joah pauses in her writing and glances at me chewing thoughtfully at her pencil. Her Ladyship is there, Poncho dutifully at her side. Tha morn is still, quiet. Good sign. "err, i'm gunna get . . .ready . . ." I say as I duck ta tha back and get changed inta my ceremonials. Battle skirt goes, leather pants go, T-shirt and gloves. Sword and earpiece. I take my satchel and pull out tha feather fan that My-She had gathered and made fer me, and head back around the bookshelves ta see who's come.

Joah's still there, waitin, as is Poncho, and Her Ladyship, and some more have arrived, Athanaric, and then, as i turn the corner, Nareth is lead in, by Bella. Nareth is dripping, fresh from tha Sea, hooded, and as Her Ladyship had said, blind. Tha day has not been kind ta Nareth. I'm staggered she came at all. I only knew that she'd been tortured at Legions hands fer hours in Tha Pit, and had her eyes . .. .destroyed by that Many-In-One thing. She bore it as she always did, stridently. She spoke, as she entered, "Where is the fire, Bella ?", sniffing the air as she did, Bella guided her "Ahead, and to your right, We just walked through the door" Nareth may be missin her eyes, but like tha huntress i know her ta be, she don't need eyes ta know about a room. "Omega...Joah...Pontifex." Bella seemed ta take it as a question, but i knew it weren't. " Joah is in front of it, the fire...Yes, Omega and Pontifex are here" its a subtle thing. "Yes... Thank you, Bella." Athanaric offers greetin from tha couch, and Joah Menjou sighs, Nareth's name, as she looks toward Nareth's damp face where she stands before the fire, dripping seawater. "Bella? Please, stay near me. I do not wish...to be alone." Bella looks at Nareth and replies to her "Yes, I will"

I take that moment ta step outta cover and let her know i'm there "Nareth, i'm honoured ya came, i hope tha travel wasn't too taxin" i say ta her and she recognises me, and replied "It was not...taxing, Grr. Bella, please, lead me to some spot near Omega." Bella took Nareth's hand, leads her across the room. She asks if her chair is still there, i tell her it is, as always, as Bella directs her ta it. Beella then gets permission ta sit, but not too far, she sits next ta tha fire, along with Joah, tellin Nareth she wont go far.

I get on with it ""i thank ya all fer comin, fer bein here fer this , its yer home too, and i wanted, befer i started ta know if any objected . . . ." Nareth clears her throat. " What is to happen, precisely? Have any of the other wardens come?" Joah watches me careful like and listens. "I hope ta perform ritual Awakening and ceremonial consecration of tha Library with tha consent of tha Her Ladyship, Omega" Nareth asks "To protect...?" and i reply "yeah, kinda. tha aim is ta contact tha Spirit of tha Library, and ta entreat it ta re-Awaken in tha Prime Material Plane. This is specifically not aiming ta re-establish tha Wards previously put on tha Library, but ta give tha Spirit back its voice."

Nareth nods. "I have no objection, Grr. It has been left unprotected too long." i gotta agree, wholeheartedly "i thank ya, Nareth. it has. During tha time tha Toxian Library has been occupied by tha Omega Institute it has been a hub of powerful supernatural and metaphysical activity. tha individuals what take residence there emanate not only a thirst fer knowledge and debate, but more often than not, radiate Power in one way or other. tha thaumaturgic activities within its wall have ranged from subtle ta earth-shaking. Tenguska . . . " which made Nareth shifts uncomfortably.

Its very structure had been imbued with tha direct essence of three Wardens, giving it in past not only tha ability ta defend itself and its inhabitants directly, but ta develop a distinct personality with tha ability ta voice its thoughts through those Wardens and tha contents of its walls.
Athanaric leaned forwards, listenin closely as I went on “When these Wards were lifted this voice was cut off. tha Library was unable ta act. It was inert. Sleeping. Comatose. Yet it lived still. More than a collection of stone and wood, bricks and mortar, books and couches. Joah reached down to touched the stone floor, nodding in agreement with me. Tha gesture wasn’t too different ta my habit of sayin hello and goodbye ta Tha Library on my comin er goin. I Always, ALWAYS do it, even if I’m running fer my life, or tha life of another, that fleetin touch, shows my respect fer tha Place

“Tha years of accumulated magical energy, tha personality inexplicably imbued in it by its Wardens, and tha vast collection of data available ta it, directly or magically has given rise ta a living spirit. A spirit of learning, quiet contemplation, of intrigue and peaceful observation in a city of danger and violence.” Ta which Nareth whispered, "And of anger." She’s right, of course, she usually is. Insight, even fer who and what she is.

“Its Alive, it feels, i know. Why am i doin this? cause when i was at my lowest, when i had no Home, Tha Library gave me shelter. When i had no Hearth, it gave me fire. When i had no Family, it gave me . . .you. I came here, with no home, with no Family, nothin but my kit and a few friends. I've given of myself ta heal here, to be healed here.”

I See Her Ladyship smile at tha memories and as Nareth reaches blindly for her Sire's hand, She takes it in Hers. I point at tha Portrait above tha fireplace. “I have bled for this place, in this place. My blood is in the very walls. Imbued with tha power of Dimentox, my blood has become a gift i gave to this Place. I took it on myself ta guard it, before i was a part of you. Its in my Nature.” Nareth muttered something rude about Dimentox. Which made me laugh, a deep, free laugh. He scares me, his childer scare me, but in tha end, only fer my life and pelt. They can’t touch who I am.

“I was taken from my people before i was born, i've had to learn what i am from Military trainin manuals and what This Place offered me. Now it is time to give back to it, what was taken from It.” I take out tha bundle of herbs My-She made fer me fer this purpose. Tha right rolled leaves, dried with care, and rolled with love. I marvel fer a moment at how such a simple thing holds such symmetry. Deft hands made this, far more so than my own clawed paws. I reach it inta tha fire and light the bundle, and put it in tha bowl she gave me too.

Bush-sage. I wanted ta bless all tha witnesses, participants and building before I started. Ta do it right.. tha smoke was grey blue, lightly sweet and crisp smelling. It drifted actively ta all present and reacted according to their intent ta tha ritual. Intent is everythin, and My-She knew that more than most, and imbued tha smudge stick with that thought. Tha smoke moved of it's own will on tha aether, not by wind. Good will, or collaborative intent drew it. Neutrality had no effect. Ill will or conflicting intent would repel it.

Nareth sniffed at tha air...
Her Ladyship inhaled, smiling at the scent..
Joah closed her eyes, breathing in the sweet fragrance.
Bellatrix inhales deeply of the familiar scent

Tha others remained neutral at least. As I wafted tha smoke around.

It was Time.

"let tha doors be unbarred.
Let tha windows be cast open.
This is a ritual of Awakenin and Freedom."

I closed my eys and shook my fur out, rolling muscles in my shoulders, arms. Back, hips, tail, thighs, calves and shuddering as I called up tha Kachina spirits, tha Earth. I’m a Shaman at heart. I feel tha pull of earth and stone, flesh and bone, blood and breath. Tha Livin and touchable. Tha workins of Heaven are not my Path. Nor of mind, fire or air. I Work with what I can hold in my Paw, touch and smell. This was a big step fer me. But it had ta be done, and no one else had stepped up tat ha line. Stand up, hook up, shuffle tat ha door as my jump instructor used ta say. Nareth sat up a little straighter. Her Ladyship stood, walkin to the windows, turning the latches, openin all the windows, allowing a slight breeze to waft in..

Time ta leap inta tha open sky. “thank you, Yer Ladyship. If they be present, will tha sundered Wardens step forth?” Nareth stands very slowly, hesitantly, callin ta Bella who whispers she’s right there still.

"You who gave of yourselves,
ta protect this place,
For that which it stands
And all who did so here."

I wafted smoke to Nareth, gently letting it swirl around her. She whispers to Bella, "Yes. I smell you....even over the smoke."

"tha Service you did was great.
tha gifts you gave were deep.
That which you wrought endures
But now tha Spirit slumbers"

"Three as One:
Birth. Life. Death:
Sun. Earth. Moon:
Above. Middle. Below."

Nareth whispered, "Three were one." Her words, I remember, I listen, I know. Ya have ta listen Tha oracles, or ya miss tha Truths they utter.

Have you further words, gifts or Spirit ta offer ta this Place? You who's Duties have been held?
Nareth shifts nervously. “You mean me?” She aint used ta bein asked, I know, but I’ve never made her nervous before, it aint my intent. SO I address her as best I may, “yes, Omega's Childe, your Voice which has been long missed” She nodded slowly and spoke. “I once spoke for this place, as this place. But things are not...now, as once they were. I did not willingly reliquish my role as ward. I would see...the library..safe again. and awake. Please...continue.”

I felt tha Spirits move in me, as I swayed ta her haltin voice tha bells on my arms and paws jingle as she spoke her words. “i bow to ya and yer Service, Nareth, Omega's Childe, Huntress” I say it cause she cant see it, she just stared blindly into space. I hope she heard at least, tha respect I have fer her and her struggles. So I raised my muzzle and spoke ta tha walls, tha shelves, tha stair, tha Central Pillar and tha Fire

"Three once Warded;
lent you eyes, voice, mind;
One, now Awaken;
Open your eyes, voice, mind!"

"Bring forth wisdom,
ta temper knowledge.
Bring forth knowledge,
ta temper rage."

"You are known,
though you have slumbered
Your peace sought,
Though you have been stilled."

I almost didn’t see Her Ladyships hands clench, at what, I don’t know. Joah lays her hand flat on tha stone floor again, the Fire seemd ta rise up more brightly behind her. I took my three offerins from my leather pouch; a stone tablet, a leather bound book, and a bare DVD. Tha memory-stone from a Kiva in Hopi-lands, where my dam was captured for tha Zoo, I figure that’s where my People were from. I rescued that from tha : Met, in tha city so nice they named it twice. Made me homesick fer Tox, it did. The book was tha “Maleus Lycanthropaea” a book on Lycans, and how best a spot em, and save their sould fer tha One God of tha Jerusalem Death Cult, which I err, got on loan from tha British Museum in London, not as tall as tha first, but even dirtier. Tha last, I had ta break inta tha records bunker at “Pucka” fer. I stole my own files, tha 7RAR-L Personnel Data Disk on me, from deep under Puckapunyal Barracks. They’ll have other copies, but now I got what they got. Now Tha Library has it.

“These tokens i give back ta tha Library, a stone, i quested fer, of my People, a book, of lore of my kind and files, that i took back from my past” I passed em around fer tha Witnesses ta look at, befor goin on “do any here wish ta make their own offerin to Tha Library?”

Joah rose and stood in the center of the library with me. She stretched out her arms to her sides, palms up, and tilted back her head. She kinda looked like she was goin to go into a trance, not really aware of her surroundins. I took a pace back, encompassing Joah in smoke, but givin her room. Nareth Spoke again “My offering was made long ago, Grr. I have nothing left to give.” But I couldn’t leave her at that “and Remembered, Huntress Nareth” then Her Ladyship spoke to Nareth smiling at her words.. “not true, my sweet, not true. You yet have much to give. But not now.” Nareth didn’t reply to her Sire.

My Cousin Uke peaked around the stairwell, lokin like she was wondering if she's appeared at a bad time, though watching intently. I smiled and nodded ta her, waving her to join in a seat, as Joah’s eyes widen, they appear different than they've ever been before. Flames seem to burn within them."I am a walker on fire," she murmurs. "Pohetv: The Spirit of the Library says, Always remember Me." the image of a translucent fiery bird seemed to envelope Joah, translucent, flames lickin her over. "Yvhiketv." She begins singing an achingly sad melody in a high, keening voice. As she sings, tears begin to fall down her cheeks.

Nareth flinched slightly, hearing the song.

Joah brought her right hand to her face to wipe them, and as she did, each tear turned to crystal and droped into her palm. She stoped singing. "Hecetv." She opened her palm to reveal four cystal tears, then started walkin a circuit of the library--east, north, west, south and back to the center. Joah spoke then, firmly, but in a sweet voice, "I call upon you, Spirit of Fire, to witness this rite and to waken the the Library." Humming ta herself, she takes each tear and tosses it one at a time: east, north, west and south. Each tear sparkles as it flies, then disappeared . A sound like women's voices singing begins to hum from the walls of the Library.

Nareth shuts her blind eyes., as did Her Ladyship, murmuring intellibly under her breath. Joah quivered, shook her head a few times and took a tumbling step, then fell to a heap on the floor in front of me. I crouched down and rested a paw on Joah for a moment, nodding. Force of habit, biut tha Sprits told me she was just released, and gone slack fer a moment. She slowly stirs, confused. I get back ta it.

“doth any other wish ta Speak, Offer or bear Witness?" looked up at Her Ladyship, who was still murmurin, rolled my head side to side, scannin her carefully, unfocussin to look Within. Just in case . . . as Joah gets to her knees, bites her lip and makes her way back to the fire. I pat Joah with the feathers I am waftin tha smoke with as Nareth lowers her head...

I see Uke pause carefully, wondering what one would offer to such a place. Her eyes dance for a moment on the fire over her shoulder, then to the Lady.

Her Ladyship addresses Me, tha Spirits, and tha Library “I bear witness, Coyote..” She raised a wrist to her fangs. “I bear witness with Blood.” I all but hear Nareth flarein her nostrils as Her Ladyship bites savagely into her wrist, stepping towards me. I bow my muzzle at Her gifting, offers the smouldering bowl, smoke swirling, penetrating, cloaking and shielding. She held her hand out, allowing drops of blood to fall, hissing on the charcoal. Nareth raises her head again at the hissing sound. She know tha burn of fire, these two. Tha sound and smell of burnin. It is a fittin offerin, tha Spirits will be pleased. They taste smoke, and now, they taste of Her, our Leader, Joah begins to shake at the sound and the smell. Her Ladyship raised her wrist towards my muzzle, as Nareth growls very, very softly. I drops my muzzle close, close enough to kiss, then, turning it to dab one cheek, then the other in Her blood, I paint myself. She tilts her wrist, letting the blood run onto her hand.raises a finger and traces an Omega onto my chest, in Her blood. Nareth sniffed the air again, that blood flows in her veins too, the source of her hunger and being. I can offer only my thanks, with a bow.

Now comes the final sharp plunge. Tha moment of truth, like tha last fall of a jump. Will the chute open? Or I have the privilege of being tha first on tha ground and dig my own hole? I nodded, and readied myself fer tha end, again, shaking out my fur, ruff to tail tip, paw claws tapping the ground in a light but soothing rhythm. Might as well look good. As Her Ladyship turns to Pontifex, holding her wrist out again.. He smiles, gazing up to her as he kissed her wrist. That is tha depth of their bond. I am glad fer it. I breathed deeply, steeling myself, nervously lookied around at the walls, the shelves, the Central Pillar and took tha moment.

"We who would learn;
ta seek, ta strive, ta overcome;
Gather here in this place;
ta adapt, ta innovate and not ta yield;"

Nareth agreed “Never to yield...”

"This day marks tha turn of tha year;
tha City falls towards long night;
By tha light of tha Longest day;
Awaken! Spirit of this Place!"

Her Ladyship walked tha quarters, as I chanted, allowing her blood to drip on the boundaries of the Circle..

" Awaken, One: born of Three;
Awaken, Spirit of Learning;
Awaken, Spirit of Knowledge;
Awaken, Open your eyes, voice, mind!"

Her Ladyship turned ta me, her circle complete.. I am grateful fer it. I felt alone there, without My-She ta help ground me. But she had good reason, and I’d not change that fer tha World. When One with Sight feels they can’t be there, ya bloody listen. My voice trailed off as I stood swaying gently as tha Spirits began ta leave me and whispered in a voice half growl, half word "awaken". I barely noticed Nareth’s slight shudder, as Joah lifted her arms in front of her, arms outstretched, palms up and began ta sing again. I just stood still, swayin, listenin, ears peaked and eyes lidded, nostrils flarin fer Sign. None came. None that I could tell. But ya cant feel tha storm from tha eye, they say. Tha hair on the back of Uke’s neck rose, her eyes now glued on the fire over her shoulder, I could see her shudder. Nareth lowered her hood, coverin her face and sightless eyes. Her Ladyship opened her palms, tiltin her head up..

It was over. I had done it, but what had I achived? “i thank ya, one and all, fer bein here, bearin Witness ta this Callin, offerin of yerselves and makin this, what it is.” Nareth nodded. Athanaric nodded, Nareth reached her left hand out for Bella to take as Joah lowers her palms to her lap, humming softly to herself and nodding ta me. Bella reached up and took Nareth's hand in hers, stood.

I feel empty, but I KNOW it was tha right thing ta do. “this . . .mattered, we . . . matter, tha Library . . .matters” is all I can muster ta say as Nareth says softly, "We shall see...". She’s right “always do, Huntress Nareth, always do, nothin is ever certain but now we've made our gesture, tha forms have been followed. if IT decides ta grace us, then we will know, again, i thank ya” She turns ta Her Ladyship “If I may leave now, Sire, I must return to the sea.” Her Ladyship nods.. “yes, Nareth.. go..” and Bella leads her away. Joah stands slowly in front of the fire, touches my blood-painted muzzle gently then leaves without a word. I gave tha bowl and feathers ta tha fire, for the Spirits, ending the ritual formally, closing my eyes and nods to Joah as she leaves.

Her Ladyship nodded to me and sat down, nursin her wrist. “it is Done, Yer Ladyship, ta tha best of my ability. tha Forms have been followed. we asked, without takin, offered without demandin. tha way it should be. i'll sleep sounder now, though” She thanks me. What more can I ask, what more could I do. I follow my Nature.

1 comment:

Larissa said...

I am very sorry I could not be there "in person", and therefore I am extremely grateful for this beautiful post. Thank you, Grr.