Sunday, November 9, 2008

Fire from the fireworks, up above

================================
Pencil entry, in a messy, tired hand dated 10/11/2008
================================

We were sittin in the Library, enjoyin tha relative peace that had settled over Tox these last few days. Rhaven’s Song was there, and Spirit Gal and I were sittin close by tha fireside.She’s got a real affinity fer fire, so do I, I guess. One of tha reasons we get on so well, ha, like a house on fire ya could say. We were sittin, and chillin, Spirit Gal had started preenin me, which I am real grateful fer. We tend ta gravitate ta one another, fer comfort, like that. We understand each other well enough now that we been through so much. She and me have gotten real close, even with our differences, and we been forged inta something strong now. She knows I’ll follow her wherever her journey takes her, and that I will always have her six. She’s Pack ta me, Family, and stronger than blood.

So there we were, sittin, chattin, when tha topic of Strong Gal came up. She’s been kept under heavy guard by Snappypants, her mate. He’s a Fanger, and fer some reason, wants ta keep her as pure and unchanged as he can. Strange that, but I guess its in his nature, never changing himself, ta keep those around him from changein too. Can’t say I agree with that, but thing is, his den, his rules. He’s her mate, and is actin as best he can. I guess. Thing is, Strong Gal aint never gonna be safe just fer bein locked up. She’ll stay safe until there is a moments lapse, and then she’ll be like a new pup in tha open. Blind, mewlin, helpless. Snappypants has made a serious tactical blunder in holing up like he has. It may have worked fer all tha ages he’s been around till now, but he never had a Fleshie wife ta tend before this, neither.

Me and Spirit gal, we see tha risk. Spirit Gal though, she took it personal, and took it inta Snappypant’s face. Thing with Elder Fangers is, though, they don’t generally take kindly ta bein told what ta do, by no one. They have ta survive on their own, their whole un-lives. Its in their nature. Her Ladyship aint hardly too different neither. Well, She’s plenty different, but, well, when ya been one way fer such a long, long time, things tend ta get laid down in habit. It was tis kinda thinking that Spirit Gal fergot when she took Snappypants ta task about Strong Gal’s “security”.

Worse, Her Ladyship had told her to leave it ta Her. Snappypants got irate, and seems ta have locked Strong Gal up even tighter, bu worse when he complained ta Her Ladyship about Spirit Gals “meddlin” She didn’t have anythin ta say ta it. Except when She finally got around ta talking to Spirit Gal about it . . .She wasn’t happy about it. More about bein disobeyed than anything, although, I think She was worried about what Snappy pants might do.

Like I said ta Her ladyship, he was actin way past reason. . . . deep in crazy-land, if ya ask me. Her Ladyship, though, was more interested in makin sure Spirit Gal understood that she needed ta obey Her Ladyships decrees. Reminded her about when She held tha Huntress’ paw in tha fire, till it crisped, when she lied about takin prey she shouldn’t have. Her Ladyship made it very clear ta Spirit Gal that she required obedience. I wouldn’t say She was furious, She hardly raised Her voice, but Spirit Gal got tha message, and did tha kneelin head-down thing that Fleshies do when they are offerin submission. Kinda like rollin ta show yer belly and throat.

I been doin some research too, on tha side, after Strong Gal got harassed by that Pack thug, TC. I knew Snappypants would object ta my regular combat drillin, so I looked fer something he’d consider more “civilised”. Fightin fer ladies. Her Ladyship didn’t seem ta sway either way. She was still on Spirit Gal’s case. See, Spirit Gal’s got a temper, a fiery temper ya could say. Her Ladyship has one too, in fact, fire is something we all have in common. Spirit Gal is a fire-worker, Her Ladyship burns with tha Eden-fire, me and my scars tell of tha fire in me.

Turns out Her Ladyship didn’t feel tha need ta give Spirit Gal any more punishment than a goot hard tongue lashin, yet. Tha threat of more ta come, pendin findin out just what Snappypants has put Strong Gal through. I think that might even be worse. Hard ta live with tha loomin threat of of retribution. Sprit Gal was pretty distraught, but still fightin, its her way. She submitted, but is still . . .persistin. That’s my Spirit Gal, she’s got a cause ta fight for, and she’s gunna fight fer it, even when it means getting under foot of others of us that are tryin ta do tha same thing. Strong leader, whether she knows it or not.

Her Ladyship, she knows it too, I think, knows that Spirit Gal’s insubordination is fuelled by her need ta fight tha wrongs she sees Strong Gal goin through. That don’t make it all fine, but at least she aint buckin tha system fer something petty or stupid. That’s one reason we’re Pretors, we look after our own. Fer tha Institute, fer Her Ladyship, they are Family. Her family. We do it fer love, of Her, of tha work, of the Library. We Watch over.

Kin, pack ,Blood.

No comments: